Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Big Debate

 When I first heard about this big debate on if the 2012 team is better/could beat the 1992 "Dream Team" I couldn't help but laugh and think it was a joke. As I continued to watch and listen the past week or two, I found out this is serious talk. I think the comparison of the 2012 team to the 1992 team is absurd. Like comparing an IPhone to a Razor. Like comparing Steak to Chicken, like comparing a Lamborghini to a Mustang....like....okay so you probably get the point. If you had the 1992 dream team time machined forward to today and put them on the court against the 2012 squad, there isn't a doubt in my mind that the dream team would win. Sure the 2012 team "could" get win against them but I see it as very doubtful. Especially in a single game showdown. The 1992 team consisted of Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, David Robinson and Charles Barkley. How do you defend against a team such as this? The team has a solid balance of good shooters and big men down low that could defend as well as mid range shooters and outside shooters and ball control players. Way too much talent for any other group to handle. These guys were old school ballers and were darn good and they knew it.


 This years team is composted of Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Tyson Chandler, Anthony Davis (who takes over for an injured Blake Griffin) Kevin Durant, James Harden, Lebron James, Kevin Love, Chris Paul, Andre Iguodala, Russel Westbrook and Deron Williams. At first glace when comparing, I see a problem with the big men. The 2012 squad would struggle down low defending the likes of Malone, Johnson, Bird, Ewing and Robinson and likely have players fouling out left and right. You would have to respect the post presence as well as the ability to dish out for a mid range or long range jumper. This years squad would struggle even keeping up, let alone winning against the 1992 guys. If it came down to a 7 game series, not much would change. However, I would think 2012 USA might be able to steal a game MAYBE  two games max. As much as I like Kobe I have to side with Jordan and company on this one. I just don't think this team has what it takes to match up against the Dream Team. There is a reason they were dubbed such name and it wasn't by mistake. This is easily the best organized professional team that has played together. Hands down, end of discussion. Though we will never get to see this play out and can only predict and wonder, I feel comfortable in saying this series, if played, probably wouldn't be too competitive and I could see the 1992 team winning by 10-15 points. Sorry Kobe and Lebron,....its just not gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment