Friday, September 20, 2013

Reflections From Raleigh


Last night was my first (and probably last) trip to Raleigh. It was not what I expected at all. Tried to head downtown for lunch and to explore before the game only to find out that it was deserted and there was a prison less than five minutes away. That was my cue to head back towards the stadium as quick as humanly possible. After driving in circles we finally found someone who knew what was going on and how to direct me towards a public parking lot. Before I'm even parked and out of my car I get I'm greeted with a nice warm (f-bomb you)...welcome to Raleigh, right? Tailgating in Raleigh was also not what I expected either..it felt more like a bunch of people having their own picnic in some random gravel lot with porta potties. 98% of the fans I came into contact with either cussed at me or talked trash (both before and after the game) and I was flipped off at least four times throughout the day for absolutely no reason. Got called a bandwagon by a complete stranger to which I could only laugh. Fans were extremely cocky and confident before the game and after the game instigated confrontations as I walked back to my car. At the end of the day though, I got the last laugh and proudly blasted "Eye of the Tiger" as I waited in traffic in the parking lot and rolled out of Raleigh. Well, enough about that..lets get to the actual game, shall we? 


Not So Fast, My Friend! 


It was FAR from a pretty, but the Tigers found a way to get it done on the road and came up big when we needed it most. We didn't quite cover the spread but if you go back and really breakdown this game, this was a solid win. Be cautious in your assessment of the Tigers performance last night. It wasn't the best, but it was a win. It was the first road game of the year, on a Thursday night, and in a place where we struggled and failed miserably in our last trip. We got behind but didn't give in and came back to take control of the game. I've been to numerous games in Death Valley and a handful on the road/neutral and I've seen the Tigers start like they did last night and not recover or make adjustments and lose a game in which they should have won. The old Clemson team would have lost last night. No doubt about it. Its sign of the progression and maturity of this team and program. Don't overlook it! I will say that some big calls changed the game (i.e. that state player was IN bounds, by the way) and played a major role in the outcome. However, the bottom line is Clemson found a way to get the job done on the road and move on step closer towards returning to Charlotte for an ACC Championship. 

The Tigers will certainly have to play better on both sides of the ball moving forward and I think they will. Clemson is back at home next weekend for Homecoming and should get back to its self next weekend in Death Valley. As for NC State, I can't put my finger on it. They looked much better than expected but not sure how much Clemson's lack of execution and overall swagger ( Yes, I just went there) played into that. Bottom line is the Tigers move forward with another win and all their goals are still on the board and up for grabs. And that's all that matters. One game at a time. Lets rest up and get ready to go after it hard next week against Wake Forest! Great job last night Tigers and Tiger nation! Have a nice weekend! Oh yeah, and GO TIGERS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment