Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I'm Back!


It has been over four months since my last post and I regret that I had to go away for so long. If you keep up with me on twitter (@CHallSportsTalk) you will know that I was overwhelmed with my school work and finishing up the last semester of my undergrad at Presbyterian College. I'm happy to announce that while I was gone, I wrapped up my last term at PC with my best overall semester, made Dean's List, successfully completed my Capstone paper and presentation (senior exit project) and finally graduated last Saturday. It was a long, and often trying journey but never have I been more proud of myself. I'm a college graduate from a well respected Liberal Arts college! It is still a surreal feeling that I'm a college graduate. I'm still on the job hunt so not exactly sure what my next step is, but I'm beyond grateful to have reached this milestone and I'm happy to see what the future holds for me! But now its time to get back to what I love...writing about sports! And while there is no way (or need) to touch on all the major headlines that I have missed since I was gone, today I will just give my thoughts on the current hot topics around the sports world and try to get back into the swing of things so that I can start posting at least twice per week again...perhaps even more now that I will have more free time on my hands! 

Clemson Pipeline to Buffalo 

The Clemson connection to Buffalo grew tremendously during this years NFL's draft as the Bills picked Clemson WR Sammy Watkins with the 4th overall pick in the draft. Watkins, who many dubbed the top WR in the draft, now joins another Florida native and Clemson great in RB C.J. Spiller. Along with Spiller, Watkins will also join former Tigers Chris Hariston, Antonie McClain, & Johnathan Meeks. Soon we may be calling the Bills the Tigers. (just kidding) Watkins is expected to be a factor and contribute from the start and if you followed his career at Clemson, you know how special of a player he truly is. Clemson fans will surely miss him this fall but we are proud of his accomplishments and I can't wait to see him excel on the next level.


 Clowney to the Texans 
As many expected, the Houston Texans took advantage of their first overall pick and snagged South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney. Like Watkins, Clowney will most certainly be on the field for the first (defensive) snap of the 2014 season for Houston. The standout DE will sport the #90 for Houston and is ready to contribute to the team and prey on opposing quarterbacks and offenses. Even as a Clemson fan, I'm happy for the guy and definitely wouldn't mind seeing him play live at some point next season. If he stays focused and in shape, he could be in for not only a solid rookie season but a stellar career just as he did at South Carolina.


Kevin Durant
With my favorite player, Kobe Bryant's best days behind him, I've slowly accepted he is reaching the back end of his career. That being said, I've began my search for a "new" favorite player to follow after Bryant's days are over. I have looked towards KD as that guy and love what he brings not only to OKC Thunder, but to the NBA overall. I remember watching him at Texas and it has been fun watching him develop into one of the best in the game. So happy for him and his first MVP award. I can only expect there will be more to come for Mr. Durant. Hats off to him. Oh and not to mention, he is also a momma's boy just like me....gotta love Durant.


Michael Sam
I'll keep this one short and sweet. I'm tried of hearing about all this first openly gay player to be drafted, play in the NFL etc. We get it. He definitely isn't the first gay player in the NFL and won't be the last. But why does this even matter? Can he play football? Is he going to be a distraction to the team/in the locker room? Those are my concerns. The rest does not matter. I know what my beliefs are and what the Bible says but what Michael Sam does in his personal life has nothing to do with me or anyone else besides Michael Sam and his significant other. My only problem is when I turn on ESPN in the morning (or whenever) I want to see RELEVANT sports news and games/highlights, NOT two men kissing on TV. This isn't the Real Housewives or some Soap Opera. Leave that private and at your home and the media needs to LET IT GO. When did we become a society where "coming out" makes headline news for WEEKS but Teddy Bridgewater holding up his promise and buying his mother a brand new car doesn't?  Let's stop making this bigger than it is...ESPN, please do better. I'd much rather hear about what Jamies Winston had for breakfast last Monday than this story that has gone on far too long. Best of luck to the guy as he heads to the Rams now lets drop this and talk about stuff that matters.....you know....like football and what these guys will bring to the table.


Other NFL Draft Tidbits 
I was very surprised to see Johnny Manziel drop all the way down to 22 overall with the Browns. I still had not quite ruled out Houston going for him and thought surely that Cleveland was going to take him with the 8th pick but they decided to go with CB Justin Gilbert then took Johnny Football later in the first round. Jacksonville also raised some eyebrows with their 3rd overall pick of UCF QB Blake Bortles. Surely they could have saved that pick for later in the draft (especially with Manziel still on the board) but then again, what do I know? I'm just a fan. Clemson star QB Tajh Boyd had to wait a while but he finally heard his name called in the 6th round with the 213th overall pick by the New York Jets. Clemson WR Martavis Bryant is headed to the Steelers and is expected to be on the field early and often. He was a bit spotty during his career in Clemson but had a solid season last year and played a large role in the Tigers road win in Raleigh over NC State as well as a few spectacular catches in the Orange Bowl victory over Ohio State.



**It feels great to be back. Going to take a week or two to fully get back into the swing of things but hope to have the blog running full speed again by the end of the month. As always thanks to all my readers and supporters. I can't name the number of times someone has talked to me about my blog the past few months despite the fact that I had to put it on the back burner for a while. But I'm back (and hopefully) better than ever!



No comments:

Post a Comment