Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The time is now

By: Christopher Hall 
christopherhallsc.2010@gmail.com 


Clemson vs Notre Dame. We've been talking about this one since the schedule was released way back in January. Almost eight months to the day. I remember clearly how everyone hinted how big this game could be. Watson vs Golson...Death Valley....Under The Lights...potentially another ESPN CollegeDay experience. Well folks, with the exception of Mr. Everett Golson--who delayed his trip to Clemson a few more weeks--we got our wish. 

It simply doesn't get much better than this. No matter if you are a coach, player, fan of either team or just a innocent bystander or lover of college football, if this game doesn't get your juices flowing...well...I really don't know what to tell you. 

There is plenty on the line Saturday night. From just the national exposure and spotlight angle, to the recruits that will be in attendance and of course, and most importantly, the playoff implications and national stage to make a statement.

It all hangs in the balance Saturday night when the sixth-ranked Fighting Irish of Notre Dame venture into Clemson’s Memorial Stadium aka Death Valley to take on twelfth-ranked Clemson in a battle of unbeatens. The two squads have met twice on the gridiron heading into this week's showdown with both teams winning on the opponent’s home field.

The most notable clash between the two schools occurred on November 12, 1977 when a pair of top 15 football teams met in Death Valley. A fifth-ranked Notre Dame football team led by Joe Montana, defeated a 15th-ranked Clemson team led by Steve Fuller, 21-17. The Fighting Irish went on to win all the marbles that season.
And just like this year, there was no shortage of talent on the field that day. An unheard of 36 players in that game went on to play in the NFL.

Clemson came back to win in South Bend just two years later, 16-10. It was just the second time in the last 40 years (1940-79) that Notre Dame's seniors lost their last home game. Billy Lott scored a touchdown late in the game to give Clemson the win and help overcome a 10-0 deficit. (Thanks to TigerNet for that tidbit) This weekend, another quarterback sporting the Clemson #4 jersey will try to defeat the Irish. 

Although I hate to be the one to bring it up (as I myself had erased it from my memory), I don’t think I have to remind anyone about what happened the last time ESPN’s CollegeGame day made Clemson, SC its’ home for the night. 

Just two years removed from that debacle, there are several players that were on the sidelines that night that will again be in the midst this weekend. You can bet your money that those guys are eager for a little redemption and to make up for the events that unfolded that night in front of a national broadcast.

I haven’t read into it much but I hear that the ND players have been very vocal about their feelings heading into the game and been talking a fair amount of noise. It’s football and I’m not complaining but I’d be careful if I were ND. Games are won the field not in the press conference room or locker-room during the week when the media surrounds you. Irish Head Coach Brian Kelly told the media earlier this week he thinks his players will be ready for the noise Saturday night….well duh! What else would he say?

But I think there isn’t a person on this planet I have to prove to that Death Valley will be an absolute mad house this weekend. Sure, ND fans apparently travel well and they’ll make their presence felt among the 85,000 plus in orange but this could very well be a record-setting night in attendance and crowd noise. 

Make no mistake about it. This isn’t Virginia. It will be a sold out, relentless crowd and from the looks of it, the defense this year can be every bit as good as it was last year…ya know, when it was the top defense in all of college football.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but if I were an opposing coach, Death Valley would not be where I want my sophomore quarterback (Deshone Kizer) making his first big time start on the road. Saturday night will be one for the ages. With the new job in Tennessee I don’t get many weekends off and usually spend my Friday nights on a sideline somewhere covering a high school football game. However, the stars have aligned and we have a bye week Friday which means I’ll be rolling into town sometime Friday night.

The search for a golden ticket is still on and while in all my years of Clemson games I’ve never been without a ticket when I needed one….we’ve also never had a game THIS big in Death Valley, either. Still, I’m confident I will find my way into the stadium before kickoff Saturday night.
I feel like I’m rambling now so I’ll hurry up and get to my closing statement. 

The Tigers have been knocking on the door of making the jump from being a good team to becoming a GREAT team the past few seasons.
In 2011, we poured the orange kool-aid into a 20-year drought without an ACC Championship in Tigertown. Last year, we finally got the monkey off our back and beat those pesky Gamecocks after five straight. On top of that, not many programs have a bowl game winning steak as impressive as Clemson’s (LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma).

All that is great don’t get me wrong but none of it really matters come 8:05 Saturday night. The table is set and its time for the Tigers to take care of business. There is a HUGE opportunity for the taking and if Clemson wants to take that next step, they have to find a way to get it done against the Irish.


Sure, this isn’t a conference game so the Tigers ACC title dreams remain strong regardless of what happens. But a win could be the springboard not only for a colossal season within the conference, but beyond.

We all have a part in making Saturday a historical day in Clemson, South Carolina. I have a feeling Dabo and Company will have the boys fired up and ready to play and it's on us (the fans) to do our part and show up early and loud to make every offensive snap for the Fighting Irish hell on earth.

Do whatever you have to do in the hours leading up to 8 PM to get yourself ready to be CLEMSON LOUD for 60 minutes. If that means going to Gameday and then napping until 4 PM, do it. If that means drinking a fifth of Wild Turkey, have at it. Whatever it takes. Clemson can’t afford to wait until Georgia Tech or FSU to make a statement…the table is set and the food is ready. The dinner hour is upon us, so lets eat! The time is now.


Beat the Leprechauns!








No comments:

Post a Comment