Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Birthdays, Baseball, and of course, the NBA Playoffs

Spent the past weekend down in Columbia with some friends doing a little pre-celebration for my 20th birthday while relaxing and catching some good ole southern baseball with of course the heated, but friendly company of my Gamecock frinends. Being the only Clemson fan of the group, my weekend definitely could have turned out better, but nevertheless, I enjoyed my time. Went down Friday afternoon so I missed out on the first game against Coastal Carolina. Saturday rolled around and grilling out at my friends lake house and watching the game on TV instead seemed to be the unanimous decision so we bypassed the big match up and enjoyed a nice day outside grilling out and enjoying each others company. Managed to get ourselves together for the showdown on Sunday afternoon and headed over to Carolina Stadium for the game. It was my first time in Columbia for a baseball game and I was very impressed with the stadium. Really nice layout and venue packed with some passionate Gamecock fans. I was disappointed to see the lack of Clemson fans that had stayed around for the game. I would say there probably wasn't even 100 fans in Orange in attendance and that would be on the generous high side of the estimate. The game didn't quite live up to the thriller from the previous night but still was a solid game, coming down to the last deep fly ball from Clemson's Felder that was caught just in front of the warning track that concluded the game.

It appears I stick out as a Clemson fan down in Columbia. Back at the football game in November, I was stopped by WYYF4 and interviewed at our tailgate, which was again swarming with Gamecock fans. It was a exciting time and something I will probably always remember. This weekend didn't seem to be much different. Apparently, (from what I was told from a friend) a reporter from The State had spotted me around the 7th inning and had been camping out nearby and literally as soon as the game was over (10-15 seconds) he was in front of me asking me if I would mind doing a brief interview. Luckily for him, I'm a nice guy and agreed even though usually I'm not the guy you want to be around immediately after a Clemson loss, especially to Carolina. Nevertheless I did the interview and had it published in the following day's paper which happened to be on my Birthday which was pretty cool. I mean really, who else randomly finds themselves published in a "major" newspaper on their 20th birthday?

It's becoming really frustrating losing to Carolina in baseball, and football too for that matter. It seems we've been one hit, one more strike out, one more great play away from coming out on the winning side and just can't seem to get that late push to put us over the top. That being said, they are the 2-time defending National Champs for a reason, they are good. (As I mentioned in the interview) That doesn't make me feel too much better, but we have went toe to toe with the national champion numerous times. I was bitter about Carolina's baseball success the past few years but I'm actually wishing them well this year--although I would enjoy nothing more than for them to not win another game this year. But back to their success, tts good for the state and they have really brought more national attention to the underrated rivalry. Everyone who follows College baseball is well aware of our two solid programs in the small state of South Carolina.



Now on to the NBA!

It appears both Conference Finals have taken a complete 360 turn. Miami looked primed to bring out the broom on the elder Boston Celtics but since a record setting performance from Rondo in game 2 (though they came up short in that game), the Celtics have taken over the series and can now finish off the Heat back in Boston tomorrow night. If this does happen what is next for Miami? Most would think a change would need to be made after another season ends without, what  many seemed to be an inevitable Championship for the South Beach squad. Will the Miami bandwagon come to a halt with a season-ending series loss to the Celtics? Meanwhile, the Spurs face elimination tonight against the OKC Thunder. However I don't think it will happen, closeout games are always tough to win.  The Spurs just need to get back to what they've been doing all season long and gain better control of the tempo of the game and they should be in good shape. Here is where the old experience of the Spurs compared to the Thunder can really pay off. This is a familiar place for the Spurs but the young OKC doesn't have this type of experience in the finals. It'll be interesting to see who rises to the occasion
tonight, and for me, I think it will be the Spurs.









No comments:

Post a Comment