Sunday, June 10, 2012

This is why I love sports

First I'll start by giving my congratulations to South Carolina as it appears they are well on their way to Omaha after knocking off Oklahoma 5-0 in the first game of the Columbia Super Regional behind another stellar, dominate performance from Michael Roth who went 7 2/3 innings giving up 6 hits and no runs. "I'd be lying if I told you it was just another game." said Roth, who was in his last as a Gamecock at home and he went out in style. I saw a tweet from Andy Demetra from @GamecockRadio that stated Roth's numbers at home in the post season were as follows: 32.2 IP, 20H, 5R, 3 ER, 0.83 ERA. Its not everyday you see those type of numbers. Its clear that when his teams needs him the most, time and time again Roth has stepped up and delivered. Hats off to him and I wish him the best.


One of the things about being in my future profession is not only the ability to predict and talk about sports (and rub it in when you are proven correct) but to also admit when you were wrong. Well darn it, I'll admit...I was wrong. I was wrong thinking the Spurs would make it to game 7 against OKC and I was wrong again tonight about the Celtics pulling out the W and returning to the Finals. As a Lakers fan I should have known better to pull for and bet on the Celtics even though I'm one of the biggest "haters" of Lebron James and the Heat. Placed a little wager with my long time friend and brother from another mother Chris Fawver and looks like I will have to pay up. He wasn't down for my proposal of double or nothing for Game 1 of the finals....and I honestly I can't blame him.


What does this now mean for the original Big 3? Is this the end of the road? Many would believe that is the case. They had a good run but it is clear that they need to make some changes and get in some younger guys to keep up with the new blood that is on the rise in the NBA. Ala Miami and Oklahoma City. Hard to argue now that maybe, just maybe, Miami is now truly THE Big 3 of this time. When they are all healthy and playing together, the Heat are dang near impossible to beat, that was evident tonight. They scored the last 31 or so of the game including all 28 of the fourth quarter. That. Is. Absurd. (On the night, James added 31 points/12 rebounds, Wade had 23 points with 6 rebounds and 6 assists.) Some naysayers might say that though this looks impressive, where is the rest of the team and this won't last. Well yeah it might not last, but when The Big 3 are playing at this level...who cares what everyone else is doing? They are making it work. Despite the lack of credit he gets, Bosh proved again tonight that his team works better with him in the lineup. Coming off the bench after his injury, he put his pride on the back burner and put his team first and was rewarded with a great performance that helped put his Heat over the top. Bosh posted 19 points including three HUGE 3 pointers, all coming in at perfecting timing during the game.

More on the Celtics:

Sportsmanship is huge and I was disappointed that both Garnett and Rondo were seen walking into the locker room as the final seconds ticked away without shaking hands with Miami. Of course Ray Allen was shown in the next shot shaking hands and giving his best wishes to the Heat following the game. CLASS ACT. You gotta be crazy not to like Ray. He is great team player who gives 100%. In the 4th quarter of tonight's game they showed a replay of Allen putting a screen on James in the paint, moving back to the left wing to catch a pass then passing the ball down into the post for a quick touch, moving over the the far corner 6 feet away and completing a perfect catch and shoot drilling the 3 pointer. (young guns, please take note!!) He plays like he's 20 despite being 36, which is, for all intensive purposes getting old for an NBA player but he still has some gas left in the tank, so I'm not counting him out. Not yet.


Now the Finals are set!

Here we go, NBA fans!

Oklahoma City will take on Miami in the finals which begin Tuesday in OKC with a 2-3-2 format. A prime example of how the young guys are taking over the NBA and how the elder Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, etc MUST get some younger talent on the roster if they don't wanna be left in the dust. The fast paced Thunder up against the exciting Heat makes for a classic Finals match up that should easily keep us entertained for 6-7 games. I will save my prediction for the series until Monday so be sure to come back and check that out. The match up between Durant and James is one that will have sports fans drooling. Two of the best in the game at their position right now, we couldn't have asked for a much better of a match up. It will be very interesting to see who steps up and makes Finals history in what, on paper, looks like a great series. The two teams split the head-to-head meetings in the regular season. Can't wait to sit back and watch this classic. I'm sure it will live up to every bit of the hype.

And Last but not least,

If you've stuck around to read this far first I want to thank you! Either you really love me or you enjoy what I'm doing either way, I appreciate it! For those that know me on a personal level, you know, as I've said before, I'm anti-Miami Heat and don't like James. BUT, I must say after tonight, he took a big step in winning me over. I always love any opportunity to blast him for this slip ups.  (missing crucial FT's at home vs the Pacers, history of fading away in the 4th quarter, etc) I'm a big Kobe fan and I've gotten into some HEATED (no pun intended) debates over who is better over the past few years. You can probably guess what my main argument has been ...and as the scene in the movie "Bad Teacher" discusses against Jordan/James (which is a complete absurd argument, by the way) its all about CHAMPIONSHIPS. Nobody cares how many triple-doubles you posted in your career if you have never won a ring. (here is the link to that clip). As much as I hate to say it and I HATE the bandwagon Miami has acquired over the past two years, I'm willing to finally take off my Gold and Purple tinted glasses and give the respect Miami and James deserves. That being said, calling, referring to him as, or acknowledging him as "King James" is out of the question and not up for debate. Three rings from now, I may change my mind and open it up for discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment