Monday, August 6, 2012

Bucket List

I'm back! After an extended break and a weekend trip to Boston/Maine, I'm back on the grind and it great timing as football is officially upon us as camp as begun and the first college football game of the season is only 24 days away as we will see South Carolina take on SEC foe, Vanderbilt on a Thursday night in Columbia. Never have I ever been so pumped to see a Carolina game that didn't involve Clemson. LET'S PLAY SOME FOOTBALL, FOLKS!!!

But until I get into complete football mode, I want to talk about my vacation. Thursday night I flew up to Boston with my aunt and cousin. It was my first trip to Bean town and I really enjoyed it. We spent Friday being typical tourist and walking around exploring the city and as a sports fan I just HAD to check out Fenway. I had no idea that this was the 100th year of Fenway Park, nor did I know Friday night's game was a HOF induction night. It was a perfect time to experience the historic stadium. It was a lot bigger than I had imagined but a really nice park with the old-time feel to it, which I really liked. So glad I got to experience this when I did. We had a great view of the HR during the game too, which was just icing on the cake. I'm looking forward to returning to Boston again some day and checking out a Celtics game. I got to see the outside of TD Garden during one of our tours and that really got me itching to see the inside. Our day  trip up to Maine was highlighted by attending the 65th Annual Lobster Festival. It was amazing. Fresh lobster eaten right by the harbor was another great opportunity and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But enough about my vacation...lets talk some football!!


News broke on Friday evening that Clemson WR Sammy Watkins would miss two games as punishment for his arrest a few months ago. Watkins will miss the home opener against Auburn in Atlanta as well as the following weeks match up against Ball St. in Death Valley. It's a blow to the team to start the season but I'm confident the team and Sammy too, will respond well. Speculation had been ongoing for weeks if Watkins would miss playing time and we finally got our answer. As much as I hate it, I agree with the punishment and like the way both Coach Swinney handled the situation as well as how Sammy has responded. I'm confident he will come back stronger and better from this incident and will not blow a great opportunity like Bellamy, for example. Who, by the way, has apparently been kicked out of his Junior College and won't be playing this fall. Everyone has put in their two cents about the punishment and how it Clemson will have to adjust to it. I texted into the phone line during Roy Philpott's show today and he agreed with my statement. I look at this as a possible blessing in disguise (not the incident per say, but the punishment and its effects). Why you say? Because we are loaded at the Wide Receiver position. We know what Sammy can do, everyone knows this and will be keying in on him this season. This will give more reps to other guys like DeAndre Hopkins, who we know can be extremely dangerous. Jaron Brown will also get the chance to earn more playing time as he's proved he can be a solid. Martavis Bryant has got to be excited for this opportunity. He has potential to be a NFL player and will help in the big play category for Clemson. Though he only had 9 catches last year, 5 of them went for 20+ yards. Marquan Jones will also get the chance to earn some significant playing time if he can put in some hard work at camp and prove he's ready to be a big part of the offense. Other guys such as Charone Peake must have all the motivation in the world. They have a chance to earn starting and major roles in the first two games and if they are successful, for the entire season. Back to the remaining comments from the text I sent in, we are loaded at WR and the more experience we have to back up this depth, the more dangerous we will be later in the season. And MAYBE, just maybe, people will be saying in October/November that Clemson has the best group of  wide receivers in the nation. I will save the importance of  not having Sammy Watkins, in the Auburn game specifically, for the preview story during game week, but for now I just want to shed some light on how a lot of good could still come from this bad situation.




1 comment: