Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Week 1 Predictions

Game week is FINALLY here! Rejoice! Opening weekend provides us with a few interesting match-ups to start the season. Due to a busy schedule for me, I will provide a brief preview/prediction for S.Carolina/Vanderbilt and Clemson/Auburn only. Hope to include more games as the season grows but that's where I'll start. I'll also do a basic "take your pick" with other regional/games of interest. While I have a minute I want to update you folks on my life. I'm in the middle of week number 2 of classes. All I can say is that it is going to be an interesting semester. I have some things to look forward to, though. I'm back on board with my job with the Sports Information Department here at Presbyterian College as "Director" for our online steaming of athletic events. Basically, we stream our games online and I decide what you see and when you see it, direct the camera workers, decide when to show replays, etc..etc. Pretty cool job. I also picked up an internship with the town newspaper, The Clinton Chronicle. I will cover mainly local sports (PC, Clinton High, Clinton Middle) but also will do other feature stories, one of which actually comes out in tomorrow's paper. Also, not sure if I mentioned it yet, but I'm planning on taking a swing at radio and join Scott and Mike on Sports Week Live in the near future. You can follow those guys on twitter @sportsweeklive and on their website. If that isn't enough exciting news for me, I also will be filling in as sideline reporter for PC and travel with the team when they take on Vanderbilt Sept 15th. Thrilled about that opportunity and the chance to check out Vanderbilt. I remember having them on my long list of schools to look at back in high school so getting to actually see the stadium and campus should be great.

Now on to the good stuff.....


#9 South Carolina (0-0) @ Vanderbilt (0-0)

When: Thursday, 7pm
Where: Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN
TV: ESPN

Preview: Coming off of arguably the best season ever in Columbia, Steve Spurrier has his team ready to contend for another SEC-East title. Vanderbilt is an improved team and definitely can't be overlooked. Emotions will be running high with the first game jitters so it will be key for both teams to settle down as quickly as possible. Last year the Gamecocks struggled against Vanderbilt though they won 21-3. Going on the road in the SEC on a Thursday night is not exactly a favorable start for anyone...including South Carolina who, on paper, is definitely the better team.

Prediction: As much as I would love to see Vanderbilt knock off the Gamecocks to start the year, I just can't push myself to believing it will happen. South Carolina's D-Line is one of the best in the nation with the likes of Clowney and Taylor. The return of Marcus Lattimore is huge for USC and I think they will just be too much for the Commodores. Similar to last year, I anticipate a slow, close start but the Gamecocks will pull away late in this one and get the job done.

The Pick:
South Carolina 30 Vanderbilt 17





#14 Clemson v.s. Auburn  


When: Saturday, 7pm
Where: Georgia Dome
TV: ESPN

Preview: Last year Clemson broke Auburn's 17 game winning steak in Death Valley by a score of 38-24 despite falling behind early 14-0.This has quickly became an interesting out of conference rivalry. The teams have a great bit in common and both have passionate fans that will give the Georgia Dome an electric atmosphere. Michael Dyer and Sammy Watkins both were huge for their teams in last years game, but neither will take the field Saturday. It will be interesting to see who steps up and delivers for their team in this prime time showdown in Atlanta.

Prediction: The suspension of Sammy Watkins is a huge blow for Clemson but they still have more than enough talent at the WR position. The poise of Tajh Boyd and play of the offensive line is crucial for Clemson. A healthy Andre Ellington could be the difference maker in the game. With Auburn bringing in 2 new coordinators, its tough to say what we will see from Auburn. One thing is for sure, we should be in for one heck of a game. Bottom line is I think Auburn has more questions to answer than Clemson does. If the offensive line plays well and defense doesn't give up the big play, the Clemson should be able to get the job done. I'm confident that new defensive coordinator Brent Venables will have his guys fired up and ready to play. Expect another exciting game between these two teams. Clemson also hopes to shake off some the "Atlanta  Curse" and get their first significant win in ATL since 200 when the Tigers knocked off Tennessee in the Peach Bowl.

The Pick:
Clemson 23 Auburn 17


Take Your Pick: Week 1


#13 Michigan State over #24 Boise St

#2 Alabama over #8 Michigan

#6 UGA over Buffalo

#3 LSU over North Texas

North Carolina State over Tennessee (Friday night)

Presbyterian College over Brevard College

Appalachian St over East Carolina


Upset Watch: 

Georgia Tech over #16 Virginia Tech





No comments:

Post a Comment